View larger map
Starting from North Lakeland Discovery Center
- Head north on Co Rd W toward Transfer Station Rd
- Turn right onto Co Hwy K/Co Rd K
- Turn left onto Papoose Lake Rd
- Take the 1st right onto Papoose Landing Rd
- Continue onto Co Rd P/County Highway P
- Continue onto Crab Lake Rd
- Turn left onto Co Hwy B/Co Rd B
- Take the 1st left onto Co Rd W
- Take the 1st left onto Riverside Dr
- Turn left onto Co Rd W
- Turn right onto Old W Rd
- Turn right to stay on Old W Rd
- Turn left onto W Harris Lake Rd
- Take the 2nd right onto S Rainbow Lake Rd
- Slight left onto Mud Lake Rd
- Turn right onto Co Rd W
- Turn right onto Old Hwy O
- Turn left onto Townsite Rd
- Slight right onto S Turtle Dr
- Turn right onto S Turtle Lake Rd
- Continue onto S Turtle Rd
- Turn left onto Co Hwy J
- Turn right onto Co Rd W
Arriving at North Lakeland Discovery Center
Amenities: Facilities with water, changing rooms, restrooms, and bike repair items located at the Discovery Center.
Road Description: County highways without shoulder, paved bike trail, and secondary low-traffic roads. All roads are in good condition. Mud Lake Road is chip sealed, but still rideable on a road bike. This route is mostly flat with short, challenging hills on Crab Lake Road.
Resupply Locations: Restaurants and convenience store located in downtown Presque Isle.
Trailhead Directions: This route begins and ends at the Discovery Center, which is located just north of downtown Manitowish Waters on Highway W.
Traveling counter-clockwise, this route begins on five miles of new bike trail that parallels Highways W and K. Highway P is bypassed by taking the less travelled Papoose Lake Road and Papoose Landing Road. A very brief jaunt on Highway P takes you to Crab Lake Road, a beautiful biking road with light traffic, tree canopy cover, and short but challenging rolling hills. Crab Lake Road passes by the Van Vliet Hemlocks, where you can stop and hike through a rare remnant of old-growth forest. As Crab Lake Road approaches Highway B, keep an eye and ear open for the sight and sound of the hermit thrush.
Crab Lake Road takes you all the way up to Highway B and the town of Presque Isle. From Presque Isle to Winchester, this route follows the marked bike route on backroads and Highway W, which has a bike lane. While on Riverside Drive, you pass the take-out point for a Presque Isle River paddle. Old Highway W Road features scenic fields and old barns. Mud Lake Road is chip sealed, but still rideable on a road bike.
After a short ride on Highway W without a bike lane, a turn on Old Highway O takes you over the divide between North and South Turtle Lakes. Townsite Road brings you into the community of Winchester. South Turtle Lake Road is another great biking with little traffic and wilderness views. Highways J and W have frequent traffic and no shoulder, use caution as you return to the Discovery Center.